DD4HW1 GSP

Writing Grammatically Correct Sentences and Choosing the Right Words and Phrases 
I struggle the most with sentence structure and grammar, learning these rules and reviewing might help better my writing. 

1. Usage of commas. 
  • Comma are misused in sentences because of breaking up two independent clause by a comma, or not list correctly. Link words like and, or, nor, but, for, so, or, yet with a comma can help the flow of the sentence and the structure. 
  • Ronane State Community College, gives a great guide how to use comma in all sentences, along with link words, and the Do's and Don't of using commas. https://www.roanestate.edu/owl/Commas.html
  • The rule that help me understand commas if re-read the sentence and see if the sentence can stand alone or does it need a comma for it make sense. 

2. Usage of a semicolon. 
  • I never really learn the use of a semicolon, or understand that importance. I normally let spell check on the computer fix my mistakes. I felt it was a good time to understand how to use a semicolon so this is why I pick this topic. 
  • Adding a semicolon is breaking up the sentence without using a period to end the sentence because it needs the other part for it make sense. Semicolon is like a break in the sentence before continuing to read. 
  • The Oatmeal explains how to use a semicolon correctly, it says, "if you have two independent clauses, meaning they could stand alone at their owns sentences, it's okay to use a semicolon." 
  • They give good examples how to combine sentences together and not use conjunctions. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon
3. Choosing the appropriate sentence length 
  • Avoid overly long sentence because it leads to run on sentences and grammar errors.
  • To short sentence can be phrases, fragments, or informal. 
  • Aims College, gives good examples how to expand to a sentence by using conjunctions and expanding your thoughts. http://www.aims.edu/student/online-writing-lab/process/sentence-length
  • One of the gold rules for sentences and paragraphs is at least 5 sentences. 
  • I pick this topic because sometimes I write to fast and have run on sentences because I like to get my point across. 
4. Correct tenses. 
  • Understanding the correct words used to express present or past actions in the sentence so the reader can understand. 
  • Past voice is the most common mistakes in sentence because its common to write in present tense. 
  • Working on verb tense consistency and keeping the flow consistent will help fix the problem in sentence structure. https://webapps.towson.edu/ows/tenseconsistency.htm
  • I over look tenses when I write, which could make it hard to understand but I see why it's so important to focus on. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DD9HW1

DD10HW4 Chapter 18